Saturday, January 29, 2011

Robert Burns & Haggis.

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o' the puddin-race! Aboon them a' ye tak your place, Painch, tripe, or thairm: Weel are ye wordy o' a grace As lang's my arm.

Robert Burns is the national poet of Scotland, born 25 January, and Scots commemorate his memory every year through a special evening centered around haggis. I think we made reference to this when we went to Edinburgh last year but, for those who don't know, haggis is a traditional Scottish dish that is basically made of various sheep organs chopped very finely, mixed with oatmeal to bind it all together, and then cooked inside a leathery pouch which is actually the sheep's intestine.

Gotta tell you, kids--it is fantastic. It's got a bit of an oily residue which one might expect, but the effect is very much like a heavy/meaty comfort food, like meatloaf or something. Absolutely delicious. A friend who is versed in the ways of the north of England managed to procure two lovely examples from a decent butcher shop and had me over to sample:


The one on the right had burst as it was cooked, but the one of the left is ripe for goodness, as you can see once it is slit:


And just to make sure it stays moist, you add a couple drops of Scotch to the haggis, and a few more to your glass (that's Talisker 10 year in the pic, which happens to be my new favorite booze if anybody is looking to diversify the liquor cabinet). Roasted potatoes and some mashed neeps (parsnips) completed the awesome meal. The book you see is a collection of Robert Burns' poetry which we recited a few verses of as tradition demands before "tucking in," as the British say:



You powers who make mankind your care
And dish them out their meals
Old Scotland wants no watery food
That splashes in dishes
But if you wish her grateful prayer
Give her a haggis!


PS More info for the kilt-obsessed:

http://www.essortment.com/all/burns_rknw.htm
http://www.worldburnsclub.com/begin/address_to_a_haggis.htm

PPS In case you were wondering, Michelle wants nothing to do with eating haggis.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the PPS because I was about to ask. Did she try it at least? Please shame her for me, if she did try it. I want to know!

xoxoxo

Newlyweds in Newcastle said...

she tried it in Edinburgh last year...not this go-round. harrumph, says I.

Anonymous said...

I was at a Burns Dinner here in NC on the 29th - must say, your haggis looks better than ours, but ours tasted good too. I've had some that was terrible! Love to you both, Cousin Amy

Kelly said...

Unfortunately, our haggis was confiscated on re-entry to the US by the customs agent:(
Something about mad cows. I guess I would be mad about being minced and cooked with sheep parts.