(M speaking) It's a beautiful, sunny day in Newcastle! It's cold, but so pretty out! We went out for lunch at a great little place in Jesmond (a neighborhood next to ours). The name is Cafe Bar One. Here's a link if you want to take a peek: http://cafebarone.co.uk
B enjoyed a beautiful Shepherd's Pie, and I had a delicious cheddar and bacon baked potato with a salad and coleslaw. Coleslaw is everywhere here...no explanation for you, just an observation. Everything there is homemade, its a tiny cafe with about 10 small tables, so its a fun, bustling atmosphere.
We came into the office for B to get some work done and use the internet. We thought we'd get internet at home this past Wednesday...but now they say next week. Patience is growing by the hour:)
Last night, we went to a "welcome" party by the Historical Studies dept. It was catered with great appetisers ( I spelled the Brit way). We had a great time, mingling and meeting people. I met a couple girls that I really hit it off with and we have now plans in a couple weeks to hike to a small village that's about 3 hours from here, have a pub lunch, and take a train back to Newcastle. We can't wait!!
Also, I asked someone about the "Are you ok?" greeting...she had never really thought about it being strange to a foreigner. I tried to explain that Americans(at least me anyhow), ask that if they suspect you are not ok. Once she understood that, we were on the same page. She said that its pretty much a rhetorical question and no one is expecting an answer, so I should just say "ok" or "all right". Glad I got to the bottom of that, its been a daily task for me to try and figure out what to say.
I rode a bus by myself on Friday morning--huge accomplishment for me. I covered a yoga class for a friend I met here. It's at a place I had never been. I rode the Metro (train) to the bus depot, looked lost, staring at a map. One of the workers asked "Are you ok?" (he meant it, thank god!) I said no and showed him my piece of paper of where I needed to go. He told me what bus to get on and to tell the driver I didn't know where I was going and he'd help me. And he did, and I successfully made it! Everyone was so helpful. My yoga class was so wonderful, there were 5 women in their late sixties. Very sweet and welcoming, and invited me to tea afterwards!
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so glad for you...sounds like you are making your way (with a little help!) Let's go to Cafe Bar One and have Italian Tea for Two!
Post a Comment